Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What about Them?

By Nicole Cruz

I mentioned in my last blog that I am an animal care volunteer at The NY Aquarium. I enjoy the work I do and I love the time I get with all the animals, so the subject of animal rights hits very close to home.

It’s no surprise to see how much animals bring to the consumer table. People will spend their money and their free time going to zoos just to see a tiger, bear, or lion. Now don’t worry, I’m not dismissing or judging zoos or aquariums. I happen to find most facilities a good thing and argue against the negative backlash that has shown up in recent years. I am aware however to the notions of animal cruelty in certain places and the rights of these animals, and no, I’m not talking about SeaWorld.
We learned about advertising and one of the biggest selling advertisements is of course one that features animals. I’m not going to lie, seeing any type of animal plays on my emotions and affects the animal-lover side of me, as it does for almost everyone else. It’s why circuses featuring animals, or zoos and aquariums gain as much popularity as they do. It engages children as well as plays on the childlike emotions of the adults. That’s why watching the documentary How I Became an Elephant was very responsive to me.

This film documents Juliette West’s trip to Thailand where she got to see firsthand the abuse elephant’s face being in the entertainment industry. It’s hard to watch the graphic nature of some of the footage but it demonstrates the impression of what these animals, that display emotions, feel just to give us, the people, satisfaction. You think it’s cool to hitch a ride on the back of an elephant but fail to recognize the pain it’s enduring. It’s a real eye-opener and the graphic content of the whippings and displays of stereotypies in elephants does keep you engaged unfortunately. It’s difficult to imagine this sort of thing happening, but it’s great to see the contributions Lek (the elephant lady featured) does to help save these massive and beautiful creatures. I must not have been the only one affected by this because as of recently, Ringling Bros. Circus has decided to phase out their elephant acts in their shows. You can read more about it in this New York Times Article, “A Bittersweet Bow for the Elephant” by Janet Davis.

While the news of elephant acts lessening throughout the entertainment industry is a good thing, I can’t help but notice the title. “Bittersweet” is not the word I would use because it’s not bittersweet for the elephants performing tricks that wouldn’t benefit them in the wild.  There’s a short story called I Am Blue? by Alice Walker and in this piece, Walker writes about a lone horse she sees in the field by her home. She begins to develop this routine with feeding apples to Blue (the horse) and this is when she starts to understand to her full extent that animals have emotions just like us. Now I know that might sound ridiculous. Some of you are probably saying, “Well of course animals have emotions and feelings.” But this correlates back to what Davis was saying. It’s only bittersweet for us to see the elephants go, not the other way around. So if we can acknowledge that these animals display emotions like us, why do we choose to ignore it for our own amusement? But the way Walker portrays this is beautifully written. She writes in a clear way, that almost puts you in her shoes, or rather more importantly, Blue’s hooves. “He looked always and always toward the road down which his partner had gone. And then, occasionally, when he came for apples, or I took apples to him, he looked at me. It was a look so piercing, so full of grief, a look so human, I almost laughed.” You follow Blue’s emotions and it packs a punch because it allows you as the reader to understand what it’s like to live this mundane routine of life.

Linda Hogan (not Hulk Hogan’s wife) takes a different approach. In her book Dwellings there’s a short story called “Deify the Wolf,” where Hogan talks about the lives of wild Timber wolves and what they mean to nature and how the rest of the world views them. There was one instance in which, Hogan and a group of other individuals come across dead wolves and someone wants to take a picture with one as if they hunted and killed it themselves. I couldn’t believe it and frankly I was disgusted. These are wild animals and while Hogan didn’t put you in “the shoes” of these wolves, she showed you how others see wolves and animals in general. If anything it made it known, we are the problem. “More than any other animal, they mirror back to us the predators we pretend not to be.”


This is where I might stray from the ideals of my fellow peers as well as these advocates. Zoos and aquariums are not the problem and this can be demonstrated through the documentary The Cove, though Ric O’Barry would be against the statement I just made. Being a marine science major and my focus being on marine mammals this film was difficult for me to watch. 23,000 dolphins are being trapped and slaughtered in this one location for their meat. I couldn’t stand to watch the injured baby dolphin bleed out as it tries to swim to safety before going down under and not surfacing back up. Sadly though it’s a reality that needs to be faced. Unlike How I Became an Elephant, this documentary compared what they were doing to Ocean’s 11. They needed to sneak cameras into “The Cove” just to film the footage of the Taiji dolphin slaughter, because of the measures the Japanese dolphin hunters have gone in order to protect the images of the slaughter from leaking to the public. For those of those you wondering if this is anything like Blackfish, I can assure you it’s not. While there are subtle hints against captivity, the main focus is on this cove in Taiji, Japan, where this despicable act taking place. Animals and animal rights need to be protected. They aren’t here to serve as our amusement, they are more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment