Shavon Wilkins-Nia Padilla
Legislation: Frank Lautenberg's Safe Chemicals Act:
SAFE CHEMICALS ACT
The Safe Chemicals Act of 2013 would revamp the federal Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976, which is the weakest environmental law. This law has allowed more than 80,000 chemicals to be used with little or no safety testing.
Key points of the Lautenberg bill would:
· Ensure that all chemicals on the market are evaluated against a safety standard of “reasonable certainty of no harm,” the ultimate standard for protecting people, especially children.
· Require manufacturers to justify all claims of “business confidentiality,” currently invoked to deny the public full disclosure of chemicals, safety tests and other essential data.
· Ensure that first responders and other public safety personnel have access to important safety information in cases of chemical spills and fires.
· Require that new chemicals be screened before going on the marketplace.
· Protect states’ ability to pass safety laws even stronger than federal regulations.
OUR SECRET (& SAFE) RECIPE
Toxic-free Lip Balm
OUR INFORMATIONAL PAMPHLET
You have the RIGHT to protect yourself from harmful toxins!
OUR INFORMATIONAL FACT PACKET
Even more information you can use to protect yourself against toxins!